Friday, January 20, 2012

Poseidon - Ποσειδῶν

 I was asked to do a commission before Christmas. It was supposed to be a gift for someone that is completely MAD about Greek Mythology and there I went ..... back to my high school days ..... re-reading the stories, re-acquainting myself with the Gods. Prompts were: It was supposed to look original/old somehow, not a modern painting of the Big Man. He needed to have his trident clearly visable and he needed to be on 24x36 inch canvas and have texture. I had already started my study into Frescoes at that stage, so it fitted in well. My mindset was historical and "old" and this is what I came up with some plaster added as if he were a statue rising up from the deep....I didn't share before obviously because he was not to see it before Christmas and then I got so busy with preparations for my Fresco workshop and also didn't want to spill the beans about what my workshop was going to be about..... But now that the class is open, this is something I can freely share. In week 3 and 4 of the workshop we will be working on canvas panels as well. 

3 comments:

Cameron said...

I can tell that photos don't do him justice!

Joyce van der Lely said...

Yes Cameron, he was extremely hard to photograph, thanks for the compliment !

Geri said...

This is wonderful work!